Friday, March 10, 2006

The Spirit was ambivalent...

...But the Flesh said, "Fuck you!"

I've been feeling rather tired and uninspired all day today. I pretty much phoned myself in at work, so I brought a couple of files home with me to catch up on my billing. (I'm a paralegal at a downtown law firm.) When I got home, I figured the best thing for it would be to drag my sorry ass to the gym and work it all out. I managed to get myself there, but when I started my cardio routine on the stepper, I literally couldn't force myself to keep up the pace. I only did it for seven-and-a-half minutes (out of thirty) before I finally gave up. I was so disgusted by then that I didn't even attempt any of my strength-training exercises, so I left to walk home.

My mood hasn't improved much after that. Life seems such a dreary, fucking farce. I feel as if I'm a prisoner in my own existence, a hostage to my very consciousness. I shamble through my day like a zombie, but feeling as insubstantial as a wraith. Most times it takes such a monumental effort of will just to put one foot in front of the other, to simply do what is necessary to maintain this charade, while I feel at any moment something could snap and fucking freak out. And I wonder why I even bother. I've never aimed so high as to aspire to happiness. But frankly my goal of simply not being unhappy often seems impossibly out of reach.

What I want to do now is pound down a six-pack or two and smoke my lungs out like a chimney. But the kernel of faith remaining inside of myself keeps reminding me that I gave up alcohol for Lent. And I'm not so far gone that I'm ready to go running back to pills, assuming I could even get them. So instead what I'm going to do is get high on an over-the-counter sleeping aid after making love to a box of cookies. Then, maybe after a bath, I'm going to get myself in bed and hope that tomorrow is a better day.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Modernity seems intent on destroying any sense of meaning that human beings once had in their lives; all in the name of safety and equality. Where is the adventure? The will? The desire to perform these tasks which pragmatically are required in order to continue your search for passion in a bland existence? The Yoga Vashista describes Rama's dispassion as very similar to your current condition, but it also was said that this same dispassion was merely an unenlightened form of wisdom. You are in touch with something greater than most have the privilege to see, something beyond t.v., money, and sex without context; you're merely grasping for with the very tips of your fingers (or so it would seem). Don't worry though, answers will come in time, especially to one as intelligent as yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home